1/3 Photos of Baby Bok Choy With Mushrooms and Tofu
Rice or ramen noodles make a good partner for this tofu-enhanced vegetable dish inspired by traditional Chinese cooking. From Country Living magazine. After seeing many review, I would recommend using low sodium broth. This dish can be a little salty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth (or use low sodium chicken if you like)
- 6 slices peeled fresh gingerroot
- 8 baby bok choy or 8 shanghai pak choi, halved lengthwise and any discolored outer leaves discarded
- 1/2 lb medium fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (I have used part portabella in a pinch) or 16 dried shiitake mushrooms (I have used part portabella in a pinch) or 16 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in boiling water until soft, drained, and stems removed (I have used part portabella in a pinch)
- 1 small green onion, diagonally sliced (optional)
- 1On paper towels, pat tofu dry on all sides.
- 2Cut tofu crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 3On small plate, place cornstarch.
- 4Heat nonstick wok or large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- 5Add 2 tbls. oil and swirl to coat pan.
- 6One at a time, dip tofu slices into cornstarch to coat cut surfaces and place in wok.
- 7Fry until well browned on one side--about 5 minutes.
- 8Turn tofu slices and fry other sides until well browned.
- 9Transfer tofu to center of large serving platter; cover with foil and keep warm.
- 10Add broth and gingerroot to wok and heat to boiling.
- 11Add bok choy, cover and cook until tender and most of broth evaporates-about 5 minutes.
- 12Meanwhile, prepare Sauce (see below).
- 13With slotted spoon or pancake turner, remove bok choy and place, cut sides down, around rim of platter with tofu; cover and keep warm.
- 14Discard ginger slices and any remaining broth.
- 15Reheat wok over high heat until hot.
- 16Add remaining 1 tbls. oil and the mushrooms.
- 17Stir-fry mushrooms until softened-about 5 minutes.
- 18Restir Sauce and pour over mushrooms; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- 19Transfer mushrooms from Sauce and place over tofu.
- 20Pour Sauce over all.
- 21Garnish with green onion, if desired.
- 22Sauce: In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup vegetable broth, 1/4 cup fish sauce, 2 tbls.soy sauce, 2 tsp.cornstarch, 2 tsp.sugar, and 2 tsp.Oriental sesame oil.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baby Bok Choy With Mushrooms and Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.3
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1748.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: