1/1 Photo of Asparagus Chicken With Black Bean Sauce
Beautiful BC's Note:
This is a very tasty family favourite that I've slightly modified from the original which came from a great cookbook called Thai Cooking and More. NOTE #1 Just so there's no confusion, this recipe uses a prepared Chinese Black Bean Sauce, NOT your regular black beans. This can be found with the ethnic foods at your local grocer, usually where you find soy sauce, etc. This is also where you'll find the hot chili paste; my preference is Sombel Oelek NOTE #2 Prep time includes 30 minute marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce, prepared Chinese
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste, I prefer Sombel Oelek
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and diagonally cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1For marinade: Combine 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, sherry and sesame oil in a large bowl; mix well.
- 2Add chicken; stir to coat well. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 3Combine black bean sauce, hot chili paste, ginger and garlic; set aside.
- 4Combine remaining 3 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce, chicken broth and oyster sauce in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- 5Peel onion, cut into 8 wedges. Separate wedges; set aside.
- 6Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- 7Add chicken; stir-fry until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove chicken from wok; set aside.
- 8Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in wok.
- 9Add onion and asparagus; stir-fry 30 seconds.
- 10Add water and cover.
- 11Cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus is crisp-tender, about two minutes.
- 12Return chicken to wok.
- 13Stir chicken broth mixture; add to wok with black bean mixture.
- 14Cook until sauce boils and thickens, stirring occasionally.
- 15Serve over or with rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus Chicken With Black Bean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.3
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 51.3 mg
- Sodium 646.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black bean sauce