This is a dish that combines two things that I really like... eggplant and pork hash. Pork Hash in Hawaii brings back memories of the hunabutta days (childhood) when the man in the manapua (steamed Chinese bun) man would come around and sell his wares, kind of like the ice-cream man in the states. But instead of getting ice-cream, one could get pork hash, half moon, manapua, fried noodles, candies, almond cookies and other stuff. Pork Hash is kind of like a meatball wrapped in a won ton wrapper. It is usually served with chinese mustard mixed with soy sauce. Coleman's dry mustard mixed with soy sauce is a close approximation, and is the recommended accompaniment to this dish. You could also use a chinese black bean sauce or a sweet and thick teriyaki sauce. Good eating!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 large eggs
- 5 stalks green onions, greens only, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 Japanese eggplants, cut into fourths (depending on the size)
- 12 pieces round wonton wrappers (optional)
- 1Combine pork or turkey, eggs, green onions water chestnuts garlic, ginger powder, pepper, sesame oil, oyster sauce, sugar and soy sauce in a large bowl. Mix well (I like to use my hands).
- 2Cut a wedge out of the eggplant. Stuff the pork mixture into the newly created pocket. (I always overstuff).
- 3If desired, put the wedge back on top of the eggplant.
- 4***NOTE***There will be alot of stuffing left over. This can be made into "pork hash" burgers or made into pork hash. To make pork hash, place about 1 tablespoon of the mixture on to the middle of a wrapper. Wrap up the sides, leaving the top open and unsealed.
- 5Put stuffed eggplant and pork hash into a steamer, and steam for about 30 minutes.
- 6Serve with soy sauce mixed with dry powdered mustard, or sweet and thick teriyaki sauce or chinese black bean sauce.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Stuffed Eggplant With Hawaiian-Style Pork (Or Turkey) Hash
Serving Size: 1 (823 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.9
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 212.4 mg
- Sodium 1012.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.5 g
- Sugars 22.7 g
- Protein 40.5 g