Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a dish that combines two things that I really like... eggplant and pork hash. Pork Hash in Hawaii brings back memories of the hunabutta days (childhood) when the man in the manapua (steamed Chinese bun) man would come around and sell his wares, kind of like the ice-cream man in the states. But instead of getting ice-cream, one could get pork hash, half moon, manapua, fried noodles, candies, almond cookies and other stuff. Pork Hash is kind of like a meatball wrapped in a won ton wrapper. It is usually served with chinese mustard mixed with soy sauce. Coleman's dry mustard mixed with soy sauce is a close approximation, and is the recommended accompaniment to this dish. You could also use a chinese black bean sauce or a sweet and thick teriyaki sauce. Good eating!
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 large eggs
- 5 stalks green onions, greens only, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 Japanese eggplants, cut into fourths (depending on the size)
- 12 pieces round wonton wrappers (optional)
- Combine pork or turkey, eggs, green onions water chestnuts garlic, ginger powder, pepper, sesame oil, oyster sauce, sugar and soy sauce in a large bowl. Mix well (I like to use my hands).
- Cut a wedge out of the eggplant. Stuff the pork mixture into the newly created pocket. (I always overstuff).
- If desired, put the wedge back on top of the eggplant.
- ***NOTE***There will be alot of stuffing left over. This can be made into "pork hash" burgers or made into pork hash. To make pork hash, place about 1 tablespoon of the mixture on to the middle of a wrapper. Wrap up the sides, leaving the top open and unsealed.
- Put stuffed eggplant and pork hash into a steamer, and steam for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with soy sauce mixed with dry powdered mustard, or sweet and thick teriyaki sauce or chinese black bean sauce.