Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
So good with chicken, game birds, and fish. This sauce could also be canned, sealing in warm sterilized jars. Some people insist you need to process in a water bath for about 10 minutes to be safe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs plums
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon mirin or 1 tablespoon plum wine
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asian chili paste with garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Pit the plums. Put into a food processor and purée.
- In a heavy, medium-sized non-reactive saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger; sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in the plum purée, five-spice powder, lime juice, Mirin, brown sugar, chili paste and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer 25 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Transfer to glass jars and refrigerate.