A noodle bowl is basically a soup. This recipe can easily be changed to a beef noodle bowl, buy substituting beef for the chicken and beef broth for the chicken broth. The original recipe calls for tofu, but I don't eat this. Hard-headed, I guess. If you want it vegetarian use the tofu and vegetable broth. Additional bouillon powder can be added if you like the broth more flavorful.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces uncooked vermicelli, broken into thirds (sub other noodle)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken, cubed
- 3 ounces snow peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup matchstick cut carrot (or shredded)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili sauce (sub 1 or 2 drops hot sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (sub parsley)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in vermicelli or other noodle, return to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium high and simmer about 6 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, snow peas, carrots and chili sauce.
- Simmer about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in green onions, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce and ginger.
- Serve immediately.