1/2 Photos of Asian Cabbage Soup
1 hr 25 mins
Slowly caramelized onions with lots of garlic and a mushroom stock give this thick soup it depth of flavor. If you like, stir a few drops of toasted sesame oil into each bowl. Enjoy! Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups water
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup scallion top (green parts)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced daikon radish (or use red radish)
- 8 -10 thin slices fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (4-5 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated fresh gingerroot
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (recommend napa or savoy cabbage)
- 1 cup sliced carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (Chinese is best)
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce (or to taste)
- hijiki seaweed (to garnish) or sliced scallion (to garnish)
- 1In a small pan, bring 2 cups of water and the mushrooms to a boil. Remove from heat and soak for 15-20 minutes until softened. Strain the soaking liquid into a 2 quart pot and set the shiitake mushrooms aside.
- 2Add the remaining 4 cups water, scallions, carrots, radish, and ginger to the soaking liquid.
- 3Cover, bring to a simmer and cook gently for about 30 minutes. Strain and return the stock to the soup pot.
- 4While the stock is simmering, heat oil in a heavy skillet(or wok) and add the onions. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are browned well(don't burn!). Add the garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- 5Mix in ginger, cabbage, and carrots. Cook, stir often until cabbage is limp and crisp tender, about 10 minutes. Add the veggies to the strained stock and stir in the chili paste and soy sauce.
- 6Remove and discard the shiitake stems. Thinly slice the caps, add them to the soup, and reheat until just boiling.
- 7Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with the hijiki seaweed or scallions, or both. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asian Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (633 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.7
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 569.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: