Posted for the Zaar World Tour-China. From the "Chinese Cookery" cookbook. I have not made this recipe yet, but have eaten cookies just like these at restaurants in San Francisco's Chinatown.
- Grease baking sheets; set aside.
- Mix shortening and sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Add egg, ground almonds and almond extract; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture, mixing well. Dough will be stiff.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Shape dough into 36 small balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Press an almond half on each ball and flatten with the palm of your hand to a 2-inch cookie.
- Mix egg yolk and water in a small cup to make a glaze. Brush each cookie with glaze and bake about 20 minutes until golden.