1/6 Photos of #1 Favorite Chinese Steamed Whole Fish by Sy
Steamed whole fresh fish is one of the best liked of all Cantonese Chinese dishes. One of my favorite sauces to go along with steamed fish is a "Ginger and Scallion Sauce." Serve this simple and flavorful dish with plain white rice and a side dish of fresh green chinese vegetables topped with Oyster Sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb fresh fish, with the head and tail on (scales removed and insides cleaned -- I prefer CHINESE SEA BASS)
- 2 scallions, cleaned and trimmed
- Chinese rice wine (not Japanese)
GINGER AND SCALLION FISH SAUCE
- 1/8 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 slices gingerroot, cut into very thin strips
- 2 scallions, cleaned and trimmed, then cut on a diagonal and into thin strips 1 inch in length
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or 2 tablespoons regular soya sauce (not the dark soya sauce)
- 1Clean and scale the fish and remove the insides, however, leave the head and tail on.
- 2Rinse under cold water and then pat dry.
- 3Place the fish in an oblong oven proof/microwave proof dish and add a little rice wine to both sides.
- 4After 5 minutes, remove the wine.
- 5Place two whole scallions under the fish to prop the fish up, which will allow steam to flow underneath.
- 6STEAMING THE FISH: Place water in a large wok and using a flat round trivet on top of the wok, bring water to a boil.
- 7Place the fish plate on the trivet and cover.
- 8Steam the fish for about 10-15 minutes, use a fork to poke the flesh of the fish to see that it is done (It should be white and not translucent, don't overcook).
- 9Remove the fish plate from the wok, pour off the cloudy liquid, discard the scallions and then place the plate in the kitchen sink.
- 10(Why? Cause when you pour hot oil over the fish, it will splatter all over).
- 11As an alternative for steaming, put plastic wrap over the fish plate and then into the microwave oven.
- 12Microwave on high for about 5-6 minutes; check for doneness as noted above, and pour off the cloudy liquid and discard the scallions.
- 13Sprinkle the fish with pepper& salt.
- 14Spread over the fish the scallions and ginger strips.
- 15In a small frying pan add the peanut& sesame oil and heat just to smoking.
- 16Then pour smoking oil over the fish, be careful with the oil splattering.
- 17Next add the soya sauce.
- 18Serve hot with white rice and chinese vegetables toped with oyster sauce!
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for #1 Favorite Chinese Steamed Whole Fish by Sy
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.7
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 882.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: