Steamed whole fresh fish is one of the best liked of all Cantonese Chinese dishes. One of my favorite sauces to go along with steamed fish is a "Ginger and Scallion Sauce." Serve this simple and flavorful dish with plain white rice and a side dish of fresh green chinese vegetables topped with Oyster Sauce.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb fresh fish, with the head and tail on (scales removed and insides cleaned -- I prefer CHINESE SEA BASS)
- 2 scallions, cleaned and trimmed
- Chinese rice wine (not Japanese)
GINGER AND SCALLION FISH SAUCE
- 1⁄8 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 slices gingerroot, cut into very thin strips
- 2 scallions, cleaned and trimmed, then cut on a diagonal and into thin strips 1 inch in length
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or 2 tablespoons regular soya sauce (not the dark soya sauce)
- Clean and scale the fish and remove the insides, however, leave the head and tail on.
- Rinse under cold water and then pat dry.
- Place the fish in an oblong oven proof/microwave proof dish and add a little rice wine to both sides.
- After 5 minutes, remove the wine.
- Place two whole scallions under the fish to prop the fish up, which will allow steam to flow underneath.
- STEAMING THE FISH: Place water in a large wok and using a flat round trivet on top of the wok, bring water to a boil.
- Place the fish plate on the trivet and cover.
- Steam the fish for about 10-15 minutes, use a fork to poke the flesh of the fish to see that it is done (It should be white and not translucent, don't overcook).
- Remove the fish plate from the wok, pour off the cloudy liquid, discard the scallions and then place the plate in the kitchen sink.
- (Why? Cause when you pour hot oil over the fish, it will splatter all over).
- As an alternative for steaming, put plastic wrap over the fish plate and then into the microwave oven.
- Microwave on high for about 5-6 minutes; check for doneness as noted above, and pour off the cloudy liquid and discard the scallions.
- Sprinkle the fish with pepper& salt.
- Spread over the fish the scallions and ginger strips.
- In a small frying pan add the peanut& sesame oil and heat just to smoking.
- Then pour smoking oil over the fish, be careful with the oil splattering.
- Next add the soya sauce.
- Serve hot with white rice and chinese vegetables toped with oyster sauce!